Sunday, February 24, 2008

Punjabi - no excuses

Thats "Jab we met" for you. In-your-face, no-holds-barred, brash, loud punjabi-ness. Each time I watch the movie, I find a new, fresh and appealing angle to it. And when I watched the movie for the 4th time today, it was the vivacity with which the Punjabi family of the girl was portrayed that hit a note with me.

The break-into-song-and-dance-at-the-drop-of-a-hat routine is by now a familiar one in every and any hindi movie. Whats different is when the movie maker decides to show something more earthy, a personal touch, something like what director Imtiaz Ali does in the scene where Geet's family is shown making lassi in washing machines. Simple, blink-and-you-miss-it, yet so appropriate!
The movie has refreshingly different punjabi songs, more like folk music , without inane remixed numbers and none of that "say shava shava" or suchlike inserted into its lyrics.

And from a female standpoint, what a nice way to mix and match patialas with t-shirts, and mojris with jeans! Verrry veery nicce I say ;-)

2 comments:

$avio said...

Umm... the female brain does work differently !!
Hey, can I subscribe to your blog ?

Gary said...

my fav movie :)